Visa Options

Your Visa Options

We can guide you through the complex Australian immigration process if you are:

  1. A student intending to study in Australia or wanting to stay after graduation.
  2. A tourist or working holiday maker wanting to visit Australia or combine travelling with a working holiday.
  3. A skilled person wanting to live and work in Australia.
  4. A business investor wanting to start a business or invest in Australia.
  5. An employer needing to sponsor employees from overseas to work in Australia.
  6. A family member wishing to join your loved ones in Australia via the partner, child, or parent visa pathways.
  7. In the event that your application is not successful, apply for Ministerial intervention (if appropriate), submit an appeal and/or represent you at a tribunal hearing.

If you are an international student who is soon completing studies in Australia and wish to extend your stay here, there are number of visa options for you:

  1. Graduate Work Visa

    If you have completed your studies in Australia may be eligible for a graduate work visa. This visa gives you the right to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years.

    The graduate work visa is often the first step in gaining a skilled migration visa, or a temporary or permanent visa being sponsored by the company you work for. It is much easier to apply for skilled migration or approach employers for sponsorship after you have gained some work experience on the graduate work visa.

  2. General Skilled Migration

    Highly skilled individuals can apply for a general skilled migration visas. These visas are based on a points test. Points are given for your qualifications, work experience, and English language skills. If you have an Australian qualification, it makes it easier to pass skills assessment in a skilled occupation.

  3. Company Sponsorship

    Once you are working for a company on a graduate work visa, you may be able to approach your Australian employer either to sponsor you on a temporary or permanent residence visa. Whether you qualify for temporary or permanent visa will depend on your score on the points test that largely turns on your education, skills and work experience.

If you wish to travel to Australia for tourism purposes you may be eligible to apply for a 3, 6 or 12 month Visitor visa.

Nationals from Eligible European Countries can apply for an eVisitor visa.

Nationals from ETA Countries outside of the European Union can apply for an ETA visitor visa. Once granted the eVisitor and ETA visas will allow the holder to enter Australia for up to 3 months on each visit within a 12 month period.

If you wish to combine travelling with some temporary work, you may eligible for a Working Holiday visa. If you would like to check your eligibility for a Visitor or Working Holiday visa please book a consulation with us or complete our Enquiry Form and we will contact you to discuss your situation.

Australia’s General Skilled Migration program is designed to attract highly skilled individuals in particular occupations that are required in Australia. There are two occupation lists that constantly change that set out the in-demand occupations that have a skills shortage.

Applicants for these visas express their interest online through the Skill Select website. If you are invited to apply, then you will be compared and ranked with the other applicants using the points test.

The visa options in the General Skilled Migration program include:

  1. Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa

    The skilled independent visa is a permanent visa based entirely on your skills, qualifications and experience. This visa does not require sponsorship by a relative or state/territory government.

  2. Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa

    This is a permanent visa requiring nomination by an Australian State or Territory government

  3. Skilled Nominated or Sponsored Provisional (Subclass 489) Visa

    This is a 4-year provisional visa which allows holders to live only in certain areas of Australia. You would need to be sponsored by an Australian relative living in a designated area, or by a state or territory government.

  4. Skilled Regional (Subclass 887) Visa

    The skilled regional sponsored visa is the permanent stage of the provisional skilled migration visas. To qualify for a skilled regional visa, you must live in the required region of Australia for 2 years and work full time there for 12 months.

Australia’s Business Innovation and Investment program encourages successful business people to settle in Australia and use their proven skills to develop business activity in Australia. The visa options are:

  1. Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) (subclass 188)
  2. Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (subclass 888)
  3. Business Talent (Permanent) (subclass 132)

Most Business Innovation and Investment migrants enter Australia on a 4-year provisional visa (Option 1) and after satisfactory evidence of a specified level of business or investment activity, may apply for permanent residence (Option 2 above).

Alternatively, business migrants may apply for direct permanent residence if they have high level business skills or can obtain venture capital funding from an Australian venture capital firm (Option 3 above).

There are several visa options that allow businesses to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia. They are:

  1. Temporary Business Sponsorship (457 visas)

    Temporary Work (Skilled) or 457 visa allows businesses to sponsor workers for a temporary visa lasting up to 4 years. Only certain occupations are eligible for 457 visas, and employees must be paid at the market rate.

  2. Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)

    The Employer Nomination Scheme is a permanent visa that is broadly similar to the 457 visa. The employee needs to show a higher level of skill than for a 457 visa.

  3. Regional Sponsored Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS)

    The RSMS visa is a permanent visa granted to applicants who have received a job offer in a regional area. The position needs to be approved by a Regional Certifying Body, but otherwise the skill level criteria are lower than for an ENS visa. The visa can be cancelled if the visa holder leaves employment within 2 years of obtaining the visa.

Australian residents, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand residents can sponsor close family members for permanent residence or migration to Australia. Options under the family visa categories include:

  1. Parents;
  2. Partners (married, de facto or same sex);
  3. Dependent Children (including adopted children);
  4. Remaining Relatives; and
  5. Careers.

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) exists as an independent merits review tribunal that examine decisions made by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). The Australian Courts can, in turn, be asked to undertake judicial review of unfavourable decisions of the AAT.

We can assist with all aspects of merits review and judicial review, including advising on prospects of success. These include issues relating to refusal and cancellation of business sponsorship programs, as well as individual matters. Where it is legally allowable, we can also advise and assist with the preparation of a submission to the Minister for the DIBP to exercise his public interest powers (under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth)) and substitute the negative decision with a more favourable one.

The general Australian citizenship eligibility requirements are:

  1. You must be between 18 and 60 years of age.
  2. You must have legally lived in Australia for the past four consecutive years.
  3. You must be a permanent resident for the twelve months immediately before applying for citizenship and must have lived in Australia for nine consecutive months out of the twelve months of that same year.
  4. You must be of good character.

Contact us today and let us help you apply for your Australian citizenship in as little time as possible that is no fuss and stress free.